Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Avocados


This week it felt like everyone that we normally see was canceling their appointments with us. I'm not sure what that was about. Right up until last night it was a different week. But I figure that will just make us appreciate even more this week and being able to visit everyone again. We even have some new people that we can visit.

As I've mentioned in the past, our standard is to get the 20 lessons/week. I think that's a basic standard everywhere. So we are supposed to get those through referrals, our own efforts to find, and through visiting less actives/recent converts. And that's where this plan proposed by Elder Perry to have ward councils provide missionaries with 15 names of people to visit comes in. You might not know of it in your ward, but I'm sure it's happening there.

Ward councils are to pray about names of members of the ward or people they know who would accept being taught by the missionaries. Typically it is just people in the ward. These can be part member families, less actives/inactives, or families with kids preparing to go on missions. It is basically people who need that extra boost where we can help. And through those 15 names we should definitely be able to get our 20 lesson/week. But it takes awhile to get it all going, to help ward councils understand how it should happen.

So we have a couple of people we're working with in the Anaheim 2 Ward. And there is a new girl we're going to start teaching this week; that's exciting! In the A 7 YSA branch, it's different; they barely have 30 active members so we're aiming for 15 names, but only have 1 so far. I met a girl at church though who said she's come like 4 times to church and is inactive. We don't have her records, and she said I was only the fourth person to ever talk to her here. Sad! It makes me realize how much just saying hi to someone is a big deal. It's not like the kids in the branch are rude. They're actually really nice. But sometimes we're in our own little worlds and forget. So I hope that's something I can remember post-mission. It's so easy as a missionary to talk to everyone.

I really don't think there's any excuse for a missionary to not be friendly to everyone. Off the mission though, I can see how easy it would be to slip back into just taking care of myself and not looking around at what I can do to help someone else. And especially the YSA age: it's a pretty selfish time. It's also a time though where you can make a big difference for someone else. So anyway, those are my thoughts. We should have a pretty busy week ahead of us. Time is marching on!

Sisters Sanders & Moore, December 2008



It was Mexico's Independence Day last week. Did anyone else realize that? If not, go ahead and celebrate late with some salsa and carne asada.

Oh yeah, tomatillos. Is it too late for me to give a recipe for salsa? Take about 5-8 tomatillos and take off the shell stuff. Then boil them in water until they become pretty much transparent. Then drain the water. Get 2 or 3 Serrano chiles (you can either roast them in a pan, or use them fresh). In a blender put a quarter to half an onion, and a couple cloves of garlic. Then put in the serrano and tomatillos. Blend! Don't add any extra water until the end. The tomatillos hold a lot of water themselves. And that's it! That's your salsa! Some people add a little olive oil. But not much more. Pretty basic. Delicioso! There's the recipe for the week.

We probably have the opportunity at least once a week to sort of teach a lesson in Spanish but not always. Last week we taught the restoration and I was a little rusty. Ah! It's so hard though in an English area where you say hi to people in Spanish and give out cards, but that's about it. But then this is a pretty diverse area. In Anaheim I've met Jamaicans, Laotians, Germans, Indians (from India), Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Hungarians, Romanians, Brits, Danes, and probably more I'm not thinking of. That's beside all the Hispanics. It's pretty interesting!

Hermanas Lewis, Sanders and Yeom

The Torres Family

May 2009



Here are our investigators who are progressing: the Lucero girls sort of have a baptismal date for November 14th. Hooray! And we're still teaching Raven. He's doing really good, still coming to church and everything. We're teaching Nicole, too, the slightly crazy lady. I'm not sure what's going to happen there yet. We don't know what her problems are: if they're emotional, psychological, or just learning problems. But we're taking it slow until we can tell what to do. And we're still out knocking doors constantly looking for new people! Yeah!

So everything is going fantastically! It still is amazing to be a missionary! I love it! It's crazy to think of ever having thought of not going on a mission. This was exactly where I needed to be and what I needed to be doing at this time of my life! I'm not sure that I've changed so much; I can't see it anyway. But I know that I've learned tons! I wanted to thank you my family for always being so supportive of me and being amazing examples for me! I love you all and hope all is going well!

Love,
Emily

No comments: